Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Meh gyul Destra

Aight, so I had to write about meh favorite female soca artist.
I will deffenitely try to be at all di fetes dat she will be preforming at during carnival as I normally do here in Miami & when I go to Atlanta Carnival. I find she does always give a killa preformance& I never been disapointed by her preformances.
I admire Destra for being such a strong person & for coming as far as she has & dais one reason why I had to add her profile here.
I will admit dat I am extremely jealous of dem abs, I wish mines was like dat but I guess I hadda wuk rel hard. Lol!
I was able to get this profile about Destra off of Island Events website & it is very informative.
Is she really is playin wit Tribe? I will be more den excited if she is. I was already excited as I saw the blog entry on Saucy Diva's blog wit her pic in the Warrior Spirit costume. I am just waiting for someone to confirm please if she really is going to play wit Tribe. Well here is di profile. I hope you will enjoy if you are as big a fan as I am.
Profile : Destra Garcia
Destra Garcia is the oldest of four siblings, she was born, on November 10th, 1977. Destra was raised in the community of Desperlie Crescent, Laventille in eastern Port of Spain, and attended St. James Secondary School where she discovered her passion for singing and music. She not only won her school's Calypso Monarch title for five consecutive years, she composed every one of her songs.

At the age of 18 she joined a quartet called PSYKE which disbanded after only one year. Following the demise of the group, Destra attended the School of Business and Management earning a diploma in Sales Management.

In 1999 Roy Cape took notice of her single album titled - “Ah Have A Man Already” with the group Third Base and invited her to join the Roy Cape All Stars Band as one of the lead vocalists.
She pursued a solo career briefly, but eventually joined the band Atlantik in late 2002. She remains the frontline singer for Atlantik and has forged a successful songwriting partnership with Kernal Roberts (until 2005 inclusive), churning out hits such as "Wha Yuh Want", "Negative Vibes" and "Bonnie & Clyde".

In 2003 Destra released her first album “Red, White, Black” which included her hit duet “It's Carnival” with fellow Soca artist Machel Montano. The song became the virtual anthem of Trinidad and Tobago Carnival that year and is widely known throughout the Caribbean.

Destra is famous for her style. Due to her radical clothing choices consisting primarily of revealing clothing such as tight, short pants, and low-cut bra tops, she has captivated audiences during her performances. On stage, Destra is wild and explosive in her movements and vocals, sometimes seemingly performing in her own world due to her passion. Destra has expressed her music and fashion choices as a merger betweeen American punk rock and Soca. This mix is evident in the instruments used in Destra's music, as she frequently utilizes rock guitar acoustics with underlying Soca rythms.

Destra won the Road March title in 2003 at the Labour Day Carnival in Brooklyn, and also placed third in the Trinidad and Tobago Soca Monarch competition in that same year.
She is yet to win either the Road March or Soca Monarch title in Trinidad. Despite this, she has become success in the local music industry, specializing in pop-sounding soca compositions as well as fusion music encompassing aspects of East Indian culture.


Destra's released her first CD in 2003, entitled Red White & Black. Her second CD, Laventille was released in 2005.

In 2006, Caribbean Beat magazine described Destra's music as "the kind of sound that a young person, living at the crossroads of cultures and technologies that is Trinidad and Tobago today, is likely to produce, and the breeziness of her music may well act as an antidote to the hard edge which often characterises life not only in Trinidad and Tobago, but in many other corners of the globe.”

Also in 2006, the Digicel mobile telecommunications group named Destra as its spokesperson in a two-year endorsement deal.

4 comments:

Trinidad Carnival Diary said...

a lil bidie said she will be in Warrior Spirit in Tribe

Unknown said...

hey.. very much enjoy reading your posts... are you trini? always like reading the perspective of a non-trini experiencing carnival for the first time...

Trini By Injection said...

YAY!!!!! I cyaa wait to see she on di road.

Trini By Injection said...

No....I am not Trini to di bone but I am Trini by injection, LOL! Dais di name a fren gave me as my hubby is from Trinidad. I cyaa wait to have my first experience.